Roadmap for SEPHP 4.10!

• 6923 posts
    August 13, 2017 5:19 AM EDT
    Daniel said:

Question#02: When will licensing (keys, checks, etc.) be addressed?

4.9.4 if I am grasping what you are asking.

what, licencsing checks, please dont say the software is going to do live daily checks back to each server ie Social Engine, and all the devs servers of plugins.

If any of these sites were to go down that would affect my site greatly, not to mention if anyone closed up shop and stopped developing.

I will 100% move away from SE if this does that

You did not read my answer above where I said the check is just like the current check. On install or upgrade. That's it. Please read all of my posts. Thank you.

• 6923 posts
    August 13, 2017 5:19 AM EDT

We will not discuss 4.9.4 further in this thread. Thank you. 

• 6923 posts
    August 13, 2017 5:22 AM EDT
    Daniel said:

@donna any idea when profile signup, profile questions etc will be addressed, before it was added via github to next release that suggested to 4.9.x but then it was said 4.10 milestone, but I get the feeling now that area, is not gunna be fixed or addressed until sometime even later.Its really the one area that bugs me as its not been changed since Social engine 3.

And a document uploader for verfication documents NEEDS to be added.

Networks needs to have ability to truely define a networks by multiselecting a combination of profile answer/questions.

profile signup/browse members needs to act like a dating site.

This thread is for 4.10. I will answer this time. Profile Types are in this 4.10 release in order to make them work better with profile questions. 

Other feature requests will be addressed later as mentioned. We need to do these things first and we cannot do a huge amount of things or it will be a huge amount of time again before releases. Flash is a big thing to remove. Networks and Profile Types are a big thing to improve. Adding smilies isn't just a small thing either. Same for hashtags. 

Thank you.

• 629 posts
    September 8, 2017 9:09 PM EDT

Love the updates!

My only concern is:

No attention to an uninstall tool for unused third party modules or apps.

This would guarantee people coming in droves to social engine if it existed.

• 23 posts
    October 15, 2017 3:08 PM EDT

Looks good. Especially getting rid of flash is great.

Also i have some informations from my members.
    I recently made a survey and they say the site is

- no so easy to use
    - Its hard to find/connect to new people
    - They find it hard to find something on the website

hope it helps

regards

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2017 9:01 AM EDT

Hello there,

I would like to buy SE v4.10 ASAP due to enhancement of "network" feature and I have got the whole development roadmap sorted after I buy SE v4.10

I was wondering when will SE v4.10 be released ? 

Thank you !

• 6923 posts
    October 29, 2017 5:01 AM EDT

You can purchase any time and get access to 4.10 when it releases. Upgrades are easy if you don't do core customizations.

• 1 posts
    October 31, 2017 8:40 PM EDT

Is there an ETA for 4.10?  I'm very excited for the Profile Types feature.

• 6923 posts
    November 1, 2017 4:54 AM EDT

It's still on track for 4th quarter release as our blog said.

• 154 posts
    November 6, 2017 10:07 PM EST
    Donna said:

Hi

Sorry not been on in while......
    Donna you say 4th quarter, and you posted this last week and 4th quarter being Oct Nov Dec...... Im hoping 4th quarter as in soon as in December 2017 and not Next November 2018

Just a big and quick jump from 4.9.4 to 4.10 in a short time?

• 6923 posts
    November 7, 2017 4:37 AM EST
    Daniel said:
    Donna said:

Hi

Donna you say 4th quarter, and you posted this last week and 4th quarter being Oct Nov Dec...... Im hoping 4th quarter as in soon as in December 2017 and not Next November 2018

Yeah we won't do dates again as software development is not baking a cake. Things do take time and like you say, it's a big jump. I'm glad you see that. We are working hard to get a beta done by our deadline we had mentioned. Next time we do a sneak peek or roadmap, it will contain info on what's coming but not when. 

• 154 posts
    November 7, 2017 10:20 AM EST
    Donna said:
    Daniel said:
    Donna said:

Hi

Yeah we won't do dates again as software development is not baking a cake. Things do take time and like you say, it's a big jump. I'm glad you see that. We are working hard to get a beta done by our deadline we had mentioned. Next time we do a sneak peek or roadmap, it will contain info on what's coming but not when. 

Yea its no problem,

And personally, i think its great how we all benefit from a program that people purchased years ago and still get the free updates to make it better.

But thats what you buy into with hopes of maintaining outweighing its sales.

But as a owner, like many others may want extra licence for other projects but certain limitations hold people back from starting a project or buying a new licence.

This is why im 100% behind a crowd fund pool of people with great ideas and want to put money where their mouth is.

Even if this said pool of crowd funders became VIP clients which granted them 10% discount across SE and all SE third parties, as they are contributing to the network of making a better thing, just like Bitcoin miners etc.

Or even ask Customers are willing to pay a £2.50 monthly software development charge.

£2.50 x licence holders can go back into making a better software that will entice people to buy.

And I know ive been banging on sooooo long about profile signup. And it really is my grinding gear, as SE do over look that it really is the selling point.

And the fact its taking soooo long infuriates me because I tried selling the software to clients so I could build them a network.

Soon as they didnt see an Instagram profile question, yet saw AIM.

They dropped it like a sack of potatoes.

I even sent SE the files and a how to, on making instagram a specific question.

Already know what you will say!
    But you can use website profile question and label it instagram

But when the twitter Q and facebook just ask for user name, insta requires the whole string
    https : // instagram . com / username

thats an extra 20 characters to type, plus they will naturally just type the username, because they did with twitter question

Takes literally 5 minutes to do, yet its been over a year and not done.

It really infuriating as it looks like SE refuses to roll with the times.

SE REAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY need to take profile signup request as an importance.

Because to me I could interpret it as laziness and don't care for sales, and if i feel they dont care for sales, it makes me uneasy investing more money into a sale.

Font Awesome icons were embraced within months for all types of platforms as visual icons help those who cant read.

So to not have an option on profile signup to give either an icon or font awesome based on profile question baffles me.

Plus multi select is sooooo messy. Even when showing clients that, they asked why does it not use selectorize tags...... literally pulled out of all sales, and dropped the idea as they said "it looks messy and horrible to use for an end user which is their main importance" esp when generic newly made wordpress sites have all these features, which makes it more custom to users and familiarity.

They see multi select and will be like "wtf this, arrrrrr got to hold control click, arrrr accidently removed finger arrrrrrr got to do it alllll again"

Users have got lazy and complacent and need it to be soo simple otherwise they simply drop off

This post was edited by Daniel at November 7, 2017 10:29 AM EST
    • 154 posts
    November 9, 2017 2:37 PM EST

No? No one else agree?
    Oh well

• 6923 posts
    November 9, 2017 3:10 PM EST

We  have a small team and are working on 4.10 atm. We do have plans for after that and will have good improvements. Not everyone wants font awesome either. Some do and some don't. Things can be changed via theme edits and css for now. 

Yes, it stinks that they didn't like the features. Those can all be improved in themes though or with plugins until we make the search improvements mentioned before.

I agree about AIM and we do have the feature request to add more options there. It can't come in 4.10. We have to get this out in order to move on to improve the things that you all want. Some of those things, such as the search issue mentioned in another thread, require big improvements due to how things are now. We are committed to bringing everyone something great. 4.10 is a step in the right direction. Hashtags will be bigger than you think. I loved them in the other script. Made it so easy to find the right content and search engines like them. Profile type mapping to member level will be great! Network improvement, again another great thing. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    November 9, 2017 4:16 PM EST

(please move or delete this, since it seems we're getting off-Topic, and this post is obviously moving further off-Topic)

My hope is that after 4.10 that (finally, since we were assured of this after 4.09, then later revisions) many of the FRs are addressed (specifically, FRs that aren't related to expected industry standards - I don't want to hear about features being added that should automatically exist in any current product, such as PHP 7.1, removal of Flash, etc - to me, those aren't FRs, even if a client posted it).

In addition, I hope that many of the FRs that are developed are those that don't presently have a solution available in the Marketplace.  Yes, as much as possible could (not should) be built into any product (SE in this case) but there's always a balance between the load/performance-hit to everyone vs. how many clients actually need the functionality, along with the financial cost to develop.  There are many FRs that have no solution available, and many of these are core-specific (i.e. no 3PD will touch them).  It's many of these that I hope are addressed, not those that already have a 3PD Plugin to address it.  What I'm getting at is that many of the things that don't exist anywhere should be addressed before those that already have a (paid) 3PD solution. 

I'd also like to see a long-term list of versions/goals, rather than only 1 'big' revision roadmap occasionally (ex. 4.09, 4.10).  Every present FR should be addressed soon and categorized with useful information and options, such as:

• Yes, we'll develop this FR, and here's what we envision the functionality to be, and ask clients for further input (instead of SE presuming they understand what we need, especially because some FRs aren't fleshed-out).  In addition, here's when this fits into the product development timeline.
    • No, we won't develop but will include a hook if a 3PD wants to develop the FR
    • No, we won't develop this (hopefully the next option will be used instead of No, especially due to some of us clients not wanting Core edited and/or 3PDs not willing to edit Core; a 'No' often leaves us with no option)
    • Maybe: we'll only develop this if we receive $X to do so (plus, just like 3PDs, once paid for SE could (depending on license agreements) then sell it and better their product and/or make $ from it. 

This way we can all plan accordingly and make decisions, rather than forever being in limbo.  I don't expect every FR to be accepted, nor do I expect it to be built in a day.  But a yes/no and timeline are acceptable expectations.  Leaving us clients in the dark on so many important functions for so long is unacceptable (IMHO). 

Thoughts?

• 154 posts
    November 9, 2017 9:34 PM EST

Agree with what GS has said.

• Regards to font awesome, I agree not everyone wants it, but when adding profile questions there could be a new option that says Fontawesome code, or link to icon. Like options in VisualComposer of Wordpress.

• Regards to AIM, this really infuriates me, I had the convo ages ago I think a guy called Khushboo, and he made out Instagram wasnt important.
      Even when I sent the files a year or more ago.
      It SHOULD NOT take that long to implement that, Like SERIOUSLY i think its inexcusable.
      You literally creation of one file (clone the file for twitter) and add the shortest code ever to two files..... I can post the details here, but its 2017 and AIM is a question, It takes 5 Minutes, set 15 Mins aside and bang out loads of em, youtube and vimeo, instagram, bloglovin, ebay .
      I feel like Social Engine doesnt embrace much, as if its a Fad and will blow over, Just like when people said Bitcoin, mehhhh just a fad!!!!

• Hashtags, in my opinion is not as important as profile signup, there are like 4 plugins already that have been around for over a year.

• Flash should have gone years ago, I dont see that as a feature request.

• Search function, Honestly I think this is of low importance.

We really need and I mean REALLY need to focus on the profile signup section.

Why are things deep in SE being addressed yet, the first point of reference someone who signs up to our websites see's, is sooo old and outdated, especially compared to so many.

Whats the point of fixing search, adding hashtags, When users are dropping off from profile signup, as its sooo old, and hard to use.

And when you have loads of questions, multiselect which only 15% of websites still use, is horrible, have to hold CRTL and click then if you accident click something, all entrants lost, then user gets annoyed and says SOD THIS.

Selectorize tags are much better, its cleaner, nicer, and super easy, you click choice, see the tag and can easily delete it.

Checkboxes are ok if its one or two choices, beyond that its horrid.

AIM question............ just infuriates me.

Website question would solve alot of specific questions, if admin could put the first half of website in so the field pulls admins data, and users to form the whole string.

I always do this thing, where I take myself out from the knowledge and perspective look at something, as if I was an idiot.
    Find a SE site and tell me as a new user joining with forgetting your history of SE, does it feel like the oldest website you have visited!

The answer will be yes, and that is where you will generate your first opinion of a site, because once the user is on the site.

They will think, dammmm they have all these functions, yet the profile signup was old as Foook.

I have gave up coming on this forum as I just get annoyed, as seems SE doesnt have the resources, and Ive offered money to make it happen as have others so FR could be done, but this is crazy.

If Im honest, and brutally honest, I think SE are scared to touch the whole profile signup section, as they fear the database would be screwed if new changes were applied, and that everyone will moan that their users data doesnt sync.
    If thats the case let us know.

If I leave SE which I am tempted, SE lose out on the 4 licences I want to buy, Social Engine Solutions and others miss out on me buying their plugins.
    SES will miss out on custom work I always give them and Ive spent ALOT!

Donna you are awesome, but please ask the team to give us one day of addressing the FR like GS said, so we know where we are at.

We are good people and want SE to succeed, we were always contributing here and github, it would be a shame to lose people like us.

This SE do a poll of whats important whatever, but profile signup............needs to be addressed, then it should be browse members to work like dating searches, then it should be networks, then searchm then hashtags..................... not the reverse.

Your selling point is the first stage of engadgement with a customer, and that is the profile signup.

And like photo upload stage there should be a document upload as well, like the mock I made before, verifying users is very important in this day and age now!

I have money, Im will to club together and help us build a better SE.

Im going bed as I can feel my veins in my forehead!!!!!!

• 6923 posts
    November 10, 2017 4:47 AM EST

For further discussion of beyond 4.10 please open a new thread as this thread is for 4.10. I will answer to the FR point here. I do the FRs. Right now we are focusing on 4.10 until we get beta out. I will make some time to go through the FRs in December to start getting polls up for some of them that weren't already accepted in the github fr section as we still have some there that were already accepted before.