Upgrading from 6.2.2 - 6.3.0

• 119 posts
    January 4, 2023 5:34 PM EST

Hi,

I hope I have posted this in the right place?

I have had a bit of a nightmare upgrading from 3.2.2 to 6.3.0! At first it would not upload The Core update so I did it by FTP as per the article:- https://community.socialengine.com/blogs/597/7/performing-upgrades to the folder:- "/temporary/package/archives/" checked 777 permissions and still it would not open properly! Here I the screenshot:

So I unzipped the tar file and ended up with 46 tar files, I uploaded those as per above and they all opened, but when I finalized the installation I got loads of errors as follows:

Went back to add packages and then it asked to to click "Upgrade" as it said the database was not up to date, that went OK and as Far as I can tell my site (https://www.specialtrustedfriends.com/) is now updated to 6.3.0!

Then I upgraded all of the plugins and all went OK except the Forum Plugin which now gives me the following message on the site:

The error log is showing:

#1 /home/special3/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): Forum_IndexController->indexAction()
    #2 /home/special3/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('indexAction')
    #3 /home/special3/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
    #4 /home/special3/public_html/application/modules/Core/Bootstrap.php(87): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
    #5 /home/special3/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Application.php(160): Core_Bootstrap->run()
    #6 /home/special3/public_html/application/index.php(236): Engine_Application->run()
    #7 /home/special3/public_html/boot.php(47): include('/home/special3/...')
    #8 /home/special3/public_html/index.php(24): Engine_Boot->boot()
    #9 {main}
    <br><br>Unfortunately this all means nothing to me!<br><br>Here are my tech details if they help:<br><br>Operating System: Windows 11<br><br>SocialEngine PHP Version 6.2.2<br><br>Server Configuration (PHP version, MySQL version, OS of server) 7.4.30, Linux, cpsrvd 11.106.0.9, Database client version: libmysql - mysqlnd 7.4.30, PHP extension: mysqli curl mbstring<br><br>Browser and version: Chrome, Latest version<br><br>Desktop or mobile? Windows 11 Desktop<br><br>I have also double checked all the folder and file permissions that should be set (777).<br><br>I didn't know if this maybe a bug or a problem on my side, but any ideas?<br><br>Kind regards,<br><br>Mark

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at January 5, 2023 5:28 AM EST
    • 119 posts
    January 4, 2023 5:36 PM EST

Oh dear, something went a bit wrong posting the above but it would not let me edit it, sorry!

• 6923 posts
    January 5, 2023 5:31 AM EST

Are you upgrading on local? When you upgraded did you do the patches that were required before upgrading? They are mentioned in the upgrading document. As v3 is so old, did you first upgrade to v4 by doing the import as it shows in the import section?

• 119 posts
    January 5, 2023 5:42 AM EST

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by local, but it was a fresh 6.2.2 Install (November 20, 2022) as I wanted to start my site from scratch again.

Mark

• 6923 posts
    January 5, 2023 5:58 AM EST

You mentioned windows desktop. I thought you were trying the upgrade on a local install. You said you were upgrading from v3.2.2. That's a very old version. 

Since you are upgrading from v6.2.2, it should be working fine. However, you are not up to date with our 6.3 requirements perhaps. https://community.socialengine.com/blogs/597/130/requirements-v6-3-and-above

On those screenshots, are those the only two files that showed for the upgrade? You should have had more. When you manually uploaded the .tar file (you shouldn't have unzipped it and should have uploaded it to the archives folder in .tar form, not unzipped), it should have unzipped with a bunch of files showing in that checkbox list. 

This community upgraded without any issues so I am not sure what happened on your upgrade. Can you try upgrading again? Just upload the .tar file to the archive folder exactly as the tutorial mentions and see if perhaps the upgrade will finish. You also may need to upgrade the forum plugin again as well as check the server requirements.

When doing permissions, also make sure you did them recursive as that's very important.

• 119 posts
    January 5, 2023 6:08 AM EST

Sorry about the v3.2.2, my typing!! I will re-upload my last v6.2.2 back up and try again to upgrade by uploading the single .tar file. I have tried this several times already and checked permissions (yes recursive), I will however check my server/PHP requirements again.

Just for the record, i know it was a bit of a chance unzipping the main .tar file, but I did it out of desperation. I have never had a problem updating, even before I did a fresh install before!

Kind regards,

Mark

• 6923 posts
    January 5, 2023 6:33 AM EST

If your upload_max_filesize and post_max_size are above the upgrade file size (perhaps try 20), it should work to upload via admin. Also, make sure your server meets the requirements and that you aren't using third party products. If you are using third party products, please check with those experts before upgrading as they may not be compatible with 6.3.0 yet. My own author site upgraded without any issues but I host at BryZar (same as this community) and it's set up for the SEPHP requirements. Though I hadn't had this server or my own server updated to PHP 8.0 and MySQL 8 yet. Need to do that soon.

• 6923 posts
    January 5, 2023 6:35 AM EST

If you still have upgrading issues, please open a ticket with your super admin login details and I'll come check the error logs and server details via admin if you have support. 

• 119 posts
    January 5, 2023 9:43 AM EST

Hi,

Done exactly as I said above and dona a "Requirement and Dependency Check", all green and OK,  but it gets stuck now as below:

Pending extraction, it has stayed like that for hours now!

Mark

• 6923 posts
    January 5, 2023 9:55 AM EST

Would you please double check our requirements and ensure that your server has not enabled things that are listed as unsupported? It should be PHP 8.0, MySQL 8.0, not FCGI as that is not supported, not windows environment (the server OS), not open_basedir, folder permissions must be recursive. Etc. I have had no issues upgrading any of the sites I've been upgrading. Also make sure cloudflare is disabled if you use that as some people are enabling things in cloudflare that break the functions of SocialEngine. That's all I can think of without you coming to support.

• 6923 posts
    January 5, 2023 9:56 AM EST

Also, try uploading the .tar file (don't extract it first) to that archives folder mentioned in the tutorial. Check the logs for errors. Check server logs for errors.

• 119 posts
    January 5, 2023 10:24 AM EST

Your Requirements V6.3 and Above specify minimum PHP v7.4 which I have and as you stated above you have not switched to PHP v8.0 yet but had no problems!

Operating System: Windows 11

SocialEngine PHP Version 6.2.2

Server Configuration (PHP version, MySQL version, OS of server) 7.4.30, Linux, cpsrvd 11.106.0.9, Database client version: libmysql - mysqlnd 7.4.30, PHP extension: mysqli curl mbstring

cPanel

Browser and version: Chrome, Latest version

Desktop or mobile? Windows 11 Desktop

I did not extract the .tar file!

All folders and files that need it as per installation instructions, 777 recursive:

/install/config/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this must also be changed)
    /temporary/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this must also be changed)
    /public/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this must also be changed)
    /application/themes/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this should also be changed)
    /application/packages/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this should also be changed)
    /application/languages/ (recursively; all directories and files contained within this must also be changed)
    /application/settings/ (recursively; all files contained within this must also be changed)

No Cloudflare.

I host with TMD Hosting who are fully conversant with Social Engine as I have done since I purchased my original licence which at the time they where what Social Engine recommended and never had a problem.

Now I'm thinking bug!

• 6923 posts
    January 5, 2023 10:54 AM EST

TMD used to be recommended host but we had so many complaints, we changed a few years ago. However, if you have no issues with them then by all means stay on their hosting. 

As for this being a bug, I have not had any issues upgrading 9 sites, including this one, the demo and my own site. I will be upgrading some more today. If you have any third party plugins, those could be an issue. I know that sns is getting their plugins compatible but some are not yet ready. I am not sure about SEAO plugins. I'll let you know how the other upgrades go but I don't expect any issues.

• 131 posts
    January 5, 2023 3:07 PM EST

Good Afternoon Mark and Donna,

One of my websites was upgraded this morning and all is well.  My host is Bryzar.  No SNS plugins, all have been removed.

Have you made anymore progress on your upgrade this afternoon?

• 119 posts
    January 6, 2023 3:35 AM EST

I don't have any 3rd party plugins.

• 119 posts
    January 6, 2023 3:39 AM EST

If I upload the tar file all that gets extracted is as below:

Mark

• 6923 posts
    January 6, 2023 5:22 AM EST

Do you see any errors in your server error logs? Do you see errors in the install.log and main.log? I know you posted one but it was not complete so I can't tell what it is. I had no issues with the additional upgrades I did yesterday and I see some clients posting they upgraded without trouble. I do have a developer checking this thread though and testing upgrading with a windows 10 computer, just in case there's some weird thing going on.

• 119 posts
    January 6, 2023 5:29 AM EST

I'm Windows 11 as I said above!

• 6923 posts
    January 6, 2023 5:59 AM EST

Sorry, didn't mean to upset you. Yes, windows 11. I have them checking windows 11. 

• 6923 posts
    January 6, 2023 7:00 AM EST

We have tested with both Windows 11 and Windows 10 and had no issues upgrading. Please check on the server end of things to see if something is being blocked. Perhaps the server error logs.

• 119 posts
    January 6, 2023 4:23 PM EST

Question - Once the file is uploaded and unzipped in Admin/Packages/Install, how many modules should there be as in the image below?

Thanks

Mark

• 6923 posts
    January 7, 2023 1:00 PM EST

Your best bet would be to extract the upgrade tar file on your computer and compare the contents to what you see extracted in the admin panel as it should be the same. According to the mac folder, it shows 47 items when I untar the upgrade file. Hope that helps.

• 119 posts
    January 7, 2023 2:59 PM EST

Yes I get the same.

I have been on to TMD Hosting and they told me all is OK Server/Settings wise.

Ok, I get so far then I get this:

At the bottom it says my permissions are correct, but I checked and double checked, they are 777.

Mark

• 119 posts
    January 8, 2023 7:55 AM EST

Then I get to this:

So I click upgrade on each one, after that in my Admin it says v6.3.0, but I have never had to do this before and I am not convinced it has installed correctly!

Mark

• 6923 posts
    January 10, 2023 5:53 AM EST

Hi Mark, is the site working fine?