September 18, 2023 2:53 PM EDT

Hello,
    A new IMPORTANT issue since update 6.4.
    Members who register no longer receive the email
    control of the email address. Yet the functionality
    is checked in the backOffice
    On the other hand, they do receive an email when the account is validated
    This is a very important problem because we risk blacklisting
    our server if we members do not have real existing emails.
    Do you have any ideas or advice?
    Thank you in advance

• 6923 posts
    September 19, 2023 5:18 AM EDT

Have you searched the forum for this question as it's been asked before. Are you using SMTP? If not, our documentation mentions to use that and not PHP mail as it is more reliable these days. But, I am not sure of your question after re-reading it as you say they are receiving emails. What do you mean email control? Can you please provide a screenshot of the setting or more details? SE doesn't make email addresses for people if you are looking for that. They have to have their own email. 

We recommend using SMTP. It's even better if it is an external SMTP server like our recommended host has. Does your host provide this? If not, maybe look into transactional mail such as SendGrid or others.

• 321 posts
    September 20, 2023 5:08 AM EDT

Hello Donna,
    Yes, we have an SMTP server and we are well versed in these subjects.
    What's weird is that the emails come out fine, only the validation email
    of the new member's email address is not delivered.
    We wonder if a language chain would not get stuck.
    But we really don't understand.
    Are you having problems with your sites?
    Do you think an Addons could pose a problem?
    Thank you in advance for your advice.

• 6923 posts
    September 20, 2023 7:39 AM EDT

Does your SMTP service provide a way to see delivery? I know BryZar and Sendgrid do. If yours does, can you check to see if the email was delivered or if it bounced? Add ons can cause issues sometimes if they are for the same area. Can you check error logs that relate to mail? Meaning, do you see any errors showing for mail in the error log?

• 83 posts
    September 20, 2023 7:57 AM EDT

I got same problem here

• 321 posts
    September 20, 2023 10:18 AM EDT

And we have also just seen that many notifications no longer come out.

Friendship requests too. Really weird because before the update everything was working fine.

I will ask our Network Administrator to check the server logs.

If you have any advice, don't hesitate.

Thanks

• 6923 posts
    September 20, 2023 10:22 AM EDT

Check the task manager as well please. I am pretty sure though that you both use the same third party plugin provider. You may need to check with them in case there's an issue or something else needs updating. If you are getting notifications from this community, which I am getting, then you can see that email notifications are working in this version. I am getting notifications from here and from another site that I am a member of who is on the current version. So atm, the only thing I can think is that a third party plugin needs updating perhaps.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at September 20, 2023 10:22 AM EDT
    • 321 posts
    September 20, 2023 10:24 AM EDT

Which third-party plugins could impact notifications?

I asked SEA to look.

Hopefully they will find a solution quickly....

• 6923 posts
    September 20, 2023 10:28 AM EDT

If any of the third party plugins interfere with the task manager, it can cause emails not to go out. If they aren't updated, they could interfere. I would check error logs and task manager, as well as task manager logs. If there is a bug in SE, it isn't presenting here or at the other client's sites that I am a member of (she has about 6 se sites lol). All are updated, but they don't have any third party plugins as I removed them. Tedious work. Anyway, I am curious about what the logs show for specific errors with email, smtp, or the task log for any error perhaps there. Make sure your site is not in development mode though as that disables emails.

• 321 posts
    September 30, 2023 2:39 AM EDT

Hello Donna,

We have carried out extensive tests on several sites with Addons and without Addons
    Indeed, there is a malfunction which is due to ADDONS.

We are experiencing the same issues with 2 different sites on 2 different servers
    with SEA Modules on the first and SES Modules on the second.
    So nothing in common between the two sites.

Everything worked perfectly until the modules were installed.

- Without module, "Mail() function" works but not SMTP
    (While our server is ok. Everything worked fine with version SE 6.2)

- With modules "Mail() function" works on several notifications except on "Email Address verification"
    and "Mail() function" but does not work with SMTP

This verification email for the new member is vital to avoid having the server blacklisted.

We also thought it might be a language file issue, we've encountered it before
    this problem a long time ago, but that's not it. This does not explain why the SMTP server is not working
    in neither of the 2 configurations of the installed sites.

Our developer sends us this information regarding scripts that could cause problems.

--------------
    I saw errors in the Socialengine log (temporary/log/main.log) which indicates a problem with the Sitereaction module, could you deactivate it to test?
    --------------

If this can help in solving this problem which is really serious for us.

Thank you in advance for your advice and help.

• 321 posts
    September 30, 2023 11:38 AM EDT

Hello.

Finally, after 3 days of testing and searching, we found it.
    This will surely be useful to other members.
    In the MAIL TEMPLATE section of the backoffice, when you have another language,
    you will find at the bottom of the page a menu Enable email - (Yes - No).
    This is a really important and practical feature.
    We had never seen him.
    Thanks again for your advice

• 6923 posts
    October 2, 2023 5:20 AM EDT

That was a nice find and explanation that I'm sure will be helpful. Here's a link to the Mail Templates tutorial that did have a note about translating the templates and how it can produce an error if not translated. I also updated it as it wasn't showing the setting you mentioned. That setting is only in some email templates. Thanks for providing the info.

• 321 posts
    October 2, 2023 5:46 AM EDT

On the other hand, sending by SMTP does not work.
    We couldn't get it to work. Do you have problems on your side Donna?
    Last thing, when you assign a YES NO value in the Template but, sometimes the value changes for no reason.
    It change --> YES to NO. We still haven't figured out why.
    This concerns the Verification Email and Email contact templates.
    Have a good day !

• 6923 posts
    October 2, 2023 5:52 AM EDT

We use SMTP here and our managed sites and are not having issues. We do have clients with different languages. I'll have to test on my staging site once it is updated (server update today).

Make sure with SMTP to follow this guide: Mail Settings 

Many miss the part that the  "From Address" must match the SMTP email. If it doesn't match, then SMTP won't work.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at October 2, 2023 5:52 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    October 2, 2023 5:53 AM EDT

I edited my above post as I had made a mistake. The "From Address" must match the SMTP email.

• 321 posts
    October 2, 2023 5:56 AM EDT

Ok thanks a lot. We will test as soon as possible

• 6923 posts
    October 2, 2023 5:57 AM EDT
    [url=/profile/Lovea]Lovea[/url] said:

Last thing, when you assign a YES NO value in the Template but, sometimes the value changes for no reason.
    It change --> YES to NO. We still haven't figured out why.
    This concerns the Verification Email and Email contact templates.
    Have a good day !

I tested on my local and by default these are set to Yes. I then set each one to No and they saved as No. Then I edited each one and set them to yes and they saved as Yes. I'll have to test on my live staging site once it's ready.